How to Grow Your Social Reach

Social Networking Growth through Social Reach
The Social Web

Expanding your social reach may seem a daunting task. There are so many details when it comes to social networking - blogs, website content, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, YouTube - the list goes on and on. How do you generate leads using social media besides just publishing more links to your landing pages?

Share this!

Strategy 1. Put social media share buttons on everything you publish. Seriously. Make sure people know you want your content shared and make it easy for them to do so!


Strategy 2. Make sure your social share buttons are visible on mobile and tablet versions of your site. You want people to share your info no matter where they are viewing it.


Strategy 3. Design your postings for each social network. Don't post a Twitter microblog to Facebook or LinkedIn. Tweets should be short and sweet - and sprinkled with hashtags. Facebook users prefer images and LinkedIn users prefer discussions and personal contact.


Strategy 4. Tailor your content to the target consumer of that network. This is something that comes with experience. Learn who you are targeting within each social community and design your content to be relevant to them. Really relevant (remember you have a lot of competition for your consumer's attention.)


Strategy 5. Be responsive. People who engage in social networks are there to They look for and get excited about interaction - so give it to them!


Strategy 6. Initiate contact with new people who aren't fans or followers yet. If you want to grow your reach, you need to reach out to people you haven't connected with yet.


Strategy 7. Keep your social profiles up to date. Stay current, stay active and most of all, mix it up!


Strategy 8. Use paid advertising.  Remember that organic search reaches about 70% of searchers - and paid search is clicked-on by the other 30%. You are missing out on a big piece of the marketing pie if you aren't using paid search tactics.


Strategy 9. Post at the best times for your target audience. Not sure when to post? Reference "The Science of Timing" by Dan Zarella for a starting point. After that, test, test, test!


Strategy 10. Be a part of a trend.  Figure out what's "trending" and get involved! People love popular, current information and engagement. One tool I use is Google Trends, but there are lots of other tools to guage what's popular.


There are other ways to extend your social reach using online marketing strategies.  Watch for my next post where I discuss 9 more strategies that anyone can use to generate leads using social networking.


What strategies have worked for you to expand your social reach? Share with the rest of us!


Write a comment

Comments: 3
  • #1

    Elaine Phillips (Sunday, 28 April 2013 20:45)

    I love how clearly you lay strategies out. I always learn something and get jazzed to go out and try it! Thanks Vena!

  • #2

    Vena Jensen Blitsch (Sunday, 28 April 2013 21:13)

    One of the criteria I'm hiring on is based on "social reach" so it's importance has been impressed upon me indelibly. Thanks for the comment.

  • #3

    Marcie Kenny (Tuesday, 25 June 2013 22:22)

    love the blog some useful tips.